I’m a little late with this posting today. Thanks for waiting.
Today’s page has a lot of writing that my grandmother, Gussie O DeSpain Munday, did about a lot of different topics. Here we go:
“rained all day Oct 17, 1948. Margaret, Mary, William, Eugene, Zora, Joseph and mother went to see Charlie T DeSpain at Greensburg who was ill with Broncial Pneumonia and came back that day. A beautiful sunset that afternoon and a big frost that night. the first one this fall.”
on the left side:
“a revival began Oct 17, 1948 at Dripping Spring with 4 professions closed Oct 27 on Wednesday night. Bro Jones & Richy.”
below that on the left side:
“Cool and showers all day Oct 17 1955”
“Papa is here he came Oct 8 1955”
“No frost yet, the trees are still green. John Gilley drop dead Sat Oct 15, 1955”
“Curious light at night Nov 1957”
on the right side:
“Oct 31, 1948 it rained all day”
“Oct 24 19?? George Stephen had a wreck with Morris Shirley on the Glasgow road.”
My thoughts about what was written:
- It seemed to rain a lot in October back then.
- Margaret, Mary, William, Eugene, Zora and Joseph are the children of my grandparents, Gussie DeSpain and Richard Munday.
- Charlie T DeSpain is Gussie’s brother and he lived in Greensburg, Kentucky.
- I’m glad to know that they seem as concerned about the weather as people do today.
- “Papa” is the nickname that the family called Gussie’s father, Benjamin Lewis DeSpain.
- I’m sad to hear about John Gilley. Didn’t know him but always a shock when some one “drops dead.”
- Lastly, wonder who was at fault for the accident? George Stephen or Morris Shirley. Hope no one was hurt.
Until next week!